Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Adventure and Cracker

Do not have much to write the past few days and I believe one should not write if there is nothing to write but here I am writing gibberish again which most of my audience will probably not understand.

First here is the cracker which probably only hindi/urdu speaking readers will understand. One of my ABCD Karachi dwelling cousins had to write an essay for her urdu O'Level exams the essay was "Allodgi" (pollution) key nuksanat per mazmoon likhen" (Write an essay on the adverse effects of Pollution.) and She comes home and tells every one she wrote a great essay on "Allo" (potatoes) aur "Ghee" (Oil) key nuksanat".

secondly the adventure, well its not really an adventure. Day before my car was not available and I decided to to take the bus from Dubai to Sharjah. In my 5 years in the UAE I have never used public transport before. The buses were abundant because apparently since RTA (road and transport authority) were short on buses they had hired buses from rental companies, the driver was not in uniform but the bus was decent and clean. The reason that I would probably not take another bus in this city is that the first time i took one the driver did not know the way to his destination and wasted at least 30 mins.

12 comments:

Shaykhspeara Sha'ira said...

lolll to both your stories!

Well, did you help him find teh way again? bechara.

Come join us at www.globalthemes.org Did you see we switched adresses?

Prometheus said...

LOL at Allodgi. And you can trust the Sharjah Transport/Dubai Transport buses. They do a good job. Prometheus used them for a year without hitch.

Wanda said...

I was gone this weekend, so It's good to be back and read your stories which even if I don't understand completely, I love them. They take me to a new place which I consider an adventure.
So Thanks!

Radha said...

Lol :)

Aisha said...

LOL

Optimistic Guard said...

Hey shaykhspeara, no the driver found help from another guy who was only to happy to help. Iv been following globalthemes, the pictures there are great and I noticed the move to .org will update my links soon.

Prometheus, Aloo Ghee was hilarious, unfortunately the one time i tried RTA buses the driver gets lost so its probably gonna be a while before I trust them again.

Hi Wanda, its always great to have you here, i followed your stories from your trip what an amazing picture tour you gave us.Hope you had a great time.

Lol radha lol :-)

Aisha good to have you back long time no see.

Lotus Reads said...

Loved the stories...they put a smile on my face! :)

Diligent Candy said...

I decided to use the bus service two summers back in Dubai - my skin only recovered from the effects last year.

Reason - though brown - I got burnt, due to the lack of sun-covers or covers of any sort at the stops.

I have been informed they are planning AC stops - first, they should put at least an overhead cover - many stops in Bur Dubai, Deira and Oud Metha don't even have that!

Long comment - it's a sore topic :(

Optimistic Guard said...

Lotus Reads, I'm always glad to make people smile, keep smiling and writing great book reviews.

Optimistic Guard said...

Brown and burnt!! happened to me one day, I was being stubborn on the beach and didnt put sun block saying brown people dont burn, guess what I peeled for a week, lol.

Yeah they are working on covered air conditioned bus stops, they have a couple trial ones setup and more are on the way.

Diligent Candy said...

Good, I am glad :)

En said...

LOL @ Aloo aur Ghee! That was cute!